Friday, January 20, 2017

Why the Circus Ran Away

I was a tourist walking down Fifth Avenue in New York City some 35 years ago, when the circus was in town. A woman handed me a flyer asking me to protest the way elephant acts were treated. When I was asked to make a prediction about any subject 25 years later, I said animal acts in circuses would no longer exist. At the end of May this year, the entire Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus will close.

By searching "elephants," you can read again the posts I wrote several years ago after I was exposed to the normal behavior of families of elephants in Africa, the cruel methods that cause elephants to perform for us out of fear, and the injuries to legs elephants suffer from riding in rail cars chained to cement floors.

It also is encouraging to see a decreased demand for raw ivory, often obtained from poached and killed elephants, has caused the price for a couple of pounds to drop to $740 in 2017 compared to a little over $2000 three years ago.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment